Thursday, November 09, 2006

Disclaimer


Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened. ~Jennifer Yane

I really have no idea who Jennifer Yane is or was, but that quote sums up the way I feel most days.

You see that grinning young thing with long skinny legs? That's me...12 September 1970. I was 18, one month pregnant and newly married. For those of you who know LL, that's her dad, 19 and clueless...as clueless as I.

I offer this disclaimer because middle age takes most of us by complete surprise, at least it does us Boomers. We go along day to day, blithely ignoring the obvious, even though it's slapping us upside the head and yelling HEY....YOU!! Wooohooo...neener...yo, bitch, pay ATTENTION!! Then one day we actually LOOK in the mirror and go SHIT...where did that come from?? As a result, we visit our past. some merely reminisce, others dwell and moan and don't move ahead. I've been to both places.

The warning here is that occasionally you might check in and get a post filled with more than a comfortable dose of graphic description of the aging process. Not just the physical, but the emotional and mental as well. We age. We have only two choices in this. We age...or we don't, if we don't age, well, you're smart, you figure it out. While I have, a number of times, comptemplated that other option, it remains highly unattractive and selfishly motivated.

So, proceed, dear reader, with caution and remember, you, too will age. Don't think you are immune, or that won't happen to you and perhaps you will address the aging process with more grace and dignity than I.

No comments: