Monday, August 16, 2010

I'm about to state the obvious, so please don't choke on the olive in your martini when you snort at me. There are a kabillion, bazillion, and 93 bloggers out there. The intarwebs is full of the varmints. Some are good, some are precious, some funny, some oh.my.god.I.really.don't.give.a.flying.foo.what.your.son.had.for.breakfast.woman (especially if it's the same damned thing he's had every day for a week).  People who merely recount their boring lives (raises hand) are really just journaling online. Like me, I doubt they really expect much of a following.

I could certainly put my blog out there more; give it excerpts for people to google, paste it in comment forms more, add ads to it. But I really don't want to. I've given the URL to a select few and if I get a few readers, cool. I really do doubt I'll have more than a few friends and family reading. And that's fine.

Part of it is that my blog is not really a blog...it's more of a virtual tour of my disjointed mind. A lot of blogs have a theme, or a specific subject. There are totally insane people out there who have a design blog, a gardening blog, a wine blog, a dating blog, AND a personal one.... And they're all perfect, and the author is gorgeous and went to some blue chip school and has perfect kids--or perfect animals and has decided not to spawn.  They decorate with a lot of white and use words like smoky texture to describe wine...and/or cheese. Just how does one evaluate smoky texture? Do you smell it with your fingers? Or  rub your nose on it?  Dunno about you, but that confuses me.

Know what also confuses me? How some people have time to read 90 blogs in a day. Good googly moogly, folks...do you ever do anything? Two of my best friends blog fairly regularly (thank goddess it's not everyday!) and I barely have time to keep up with them. (And I have to admit, I have not followed all of Sylvan's  recent posts on 30 books in 30 days..., sorry sweetie). I check FB every couple of days and Live Journal almost every day, but some bloggers have a list as long as my arm of pages they're following. Do they actually read all those? Or did they read a post or two and decide to put them in their blogroll just in case they were stuck up a tree one day and had nothing to do (and happened to have an iPhone or netbook with them)?

Here's an example. This lady is gorgeous and has bought and renovated a dozen houses...and she's only 30. Talk about making an old lady feel like a loser!  But you know...by some standards I might not be all that successful, but then I think what I do. I help shape tomorrow's leaders...officers who will be making big decisions one day. I have colonels taking my advice (and even a general or two over the years!). My pay sucks pond water, but what I do is important, and people respect me. I had my time of being a gorgeous 30-something, and while I wish to hell I hadn't let my body go, I'm still a beautiful person. Even when I'm chewing you out.  And? I know the difference between a smell/taste and a touch sensation. Really, I do.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I am not sure which kind of example I'm supposed to be, but I swear I haven't used the term SMOKY TEXTURE. Well, that I remember, at least. But I'm insanely flattered that you used the word gorgeous in the same context as me, so we can totally be friends, if you want. And, if you're down, maybe you can teach me how to boss around generals.

(Which I've just now added to my life list.)

Kelly

Madame B said...

Kelly--ROFL! I knew someone would call me on the "smoky texture" thing. It just popped into my head as the kind of pretentious thing you might hear at a wine-tasting or something...not related to you at all. I think what you do is fabulous! And would that I had more strength and energy to even work on the renovation of my own home, let alone doing it as an avocation or career.

As for generals, as with anyone with a lot of power...you have to make them believe they thought of it. Kind of like herding cats, in fact.

Thanks for my first "real" comment (i.e. not one by someone who's related or a close friend ;) ).

Kelly said...

no problem, but i'm totally stealing the cat herding thing. just so you know.


kelly