Tuesday, July 22, 2014

On the art side of things.

Recycling, repurposing, and up-cycling are a thing. A thing I like very much. So I bought this pencil case/easel from Jerry's


And it's really cool and holds all my pencils, but the thing is just too large for my desk in my studio.  

One of the things I love to do is make desk organizers from little boxes different products come it. Most of the time I put these in the recycle, but every now and then for some bizarre reason, I start saving the little boxes for eye drops, Band-aids, glucose test strips, toothpaste, face lotion, you name it. Then I glue the top flaps in, or cut them down to size and cut the four corners into new flaps and glue those in; glue the bottoms closed, if necessary, and cover them in either decorative paper, or in this case, maps from an old road atlas.

Then I play around until I get the configuration I want and cut a piece of cardboard for the bottom, cover it, and start gluing the boxes on and together. This is what I made for my colored pencils last week.


Front

Left Side

Top


Back

I decorated it with washi tape and then put a coat of gloss Mod Podge on top. Voila!  The little bottle that looks like a baking ingredient really is. It's ancient pure lemon extract that went completely alcohol on me, so I use it to blend the pencils. The pencils are sorted by color groups that make sense to me, plus blenders. The pencils that have gotten way short are in the front where I can find them. It's compact and portable. If I decide to take my pencils somewhere, I'll just use a zip bag...not like I don't have a million of 'em.



No comments: