Thursday, June 14, 2012

What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday #158

I know, I know, I'm a day late with this...but here it is. I'm working on a journal for my son to take with him to New Orleans for the summer. He's going to stay with my brother and learn how to work on computers and install CC cameras, techy-stuff, for which he will get paid! After I made the dos-à-dos journals (still need to post those!) I asked him if he wanted a journal to take with him and he said yeah! so many of these smashbook type journals are soooooo girly, so I'm trying to keep this very boy.

I took a box that a store version of Hamburger Helper came in (don't look at me, I don't eat that crap), gessoed it, painted it matte black, then Mod Podged on torn pieces of scrapping paper. Then I mixed ultramarine acrylic with some Mod Podge and scraped that on.

Tonight I'm at the coffee house, writing, but tomorrow...after I get back from the dog park, I'll do the inside covers and start sewing in the signatures.



7 comments:

Racu said...

Ack! the first pic is upside down.

Julia Dunnit said...

Never heard of hamburger helper so Im not looking at you! Great use of the packaging though, live the randomness of the scraping.

Racu said...

Thanks, Julia! Hamburger Helper is a packet mix boxed with noodles. You fry up ground beef (I think it's called minced in the UK), add the noodles, water, and packet of spices, etc. to make a kind of casserole dish. It's very quick and easy, but full of too many carbs, fat, and MSG for my liking. My hubby loves the stuff. We call it "glop." Hee.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/hamburger-helper/products

Valerie Light said...

That's very creative! It's cool that your son wanted a journal made by you!

Racu said...

Thanks, Valerie! Yeah, I thought it was pretty awesome myself. It's why I'm trying to make it one he'll actually use, a smash journal kind of thing that he won't feel compelled to write in--he hates writing--and then not use.

patsy said...

I'm not going to ask my son if he wants a journal, I just know he'll say no! Journal cover is looking great, but the pictures are too small!

Racu said...

Thanks, Patsy. They're thumbnails...you should be able to click on them and they'll open up really large. If not, here are the links.
http://madamebizarro.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IMG_2202.jpg

http://madamebizarro.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IMG_2204.jpg