Wednesday, January 09, 2013

WOYWW #188

Hello again, all you lovely crafters at WOYWW. Sorry, I missed last week...was mainly just gessoing odd pages and...pffft...can't remember. This week I was working on one of those ubiquitous "journal page girls." Ridiculously bad, I must say. Started out as a sketch while waiting for my mother's CT scan. Wasn't complete rubbish, but then I added color to it. Bleah. Picasso eyes, way too widely spaced, squirrel tails for hair, and a giraffe's neck. Lovely. But, each drawing we do is a learning experience and practice for our hand.

The second thing, which is what I'm actually working on, is the first assignment in Willowing's Art, Heart, and Healing course. There's still a lot to go on it. She has her eyes closed, if you're wondering. I know the phone pic might not be so very clear.  It was done on a two page spread in a gessoed board book--the kind you get for toddlers. I had just tons of fun sanding and gessoing the dorky Barbie pages. LOL.  The medium is a Derwent water soluble GRAPHtone pencil in 8B Very Dark, and water. Still issues with the portrait, but it's far better than Giraffe Girl. for some reason the captions aren't showing on the blog...blogger weirdness.  anyway...remember to click on the picture!

Picasso Eyes....aka giraffe Girl. Ah, well, it's just practice.
Sort of a self-portrait. The only things that are accurate are the hair and gender...
82 pounds of snuggly dawg. Abby.


7 comments:

Lori said...

You are your own worse critic. They are great!!

I am new to WYOWW and a friend of Sandee. Hope you have a chance to check out my blog and desk.
Lori #81

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated WOYWW. I agree with the above comment. We are always our worse critic - which is a shame, as we should be our BIGGEST FAN!! Ali x #40

Julia Dunnit said...

Yes, I agree..you are way too hard on yourself. So maybe not figuratively perfect, but these faces have character and expression and also will speak of your art journal...they say to 'strive for perfection' not open a journal and be perfect with every pencil stroke!! Hope your Mama is OK.

SandeeNC said...

OK, chuckling on the last picture, was rather unexpected! lol One day late but aiming to comment on EVERYONE this WOYWW, waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Racu said...

Hee.the last picture is my big mutt...all 82 pounds her curled up with her head on my hip. She's such a sweetie, but if ever there was an ADHD dog...it's Abby.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Love your DOG-sistant! I always admire people who can draw and paint. You do wonderful work!

Jeannie #60

April said...

I enjoyed your artwork - I think you might be a little too hard on yourself. Your furry pal is adorable. April #136