Sunday, July 18, 2010

Teasing the Universe

I’m not sure the Universe will survive this…I actually finished another project.

Okay, so it’s been slightly over a year since I finished the Cat Condo (and now it's taking me forever to write the post on the cat condo), but I took much less time to get this one done.  I had this bookcase in my bedroom that was 8 feet tall and 42 inches wide, and because it started out life as a packing crate, only 7 inches deep.  I got the crate from Texas Instruments when I worked in the facilities department and R and I had added some cheap lumber and made it into a bookcase for his office (which is now my bedroom). It was primarily for paperbacks, VHS tapes, and DVDs and was perfect for that.  There were 6 upper shelves all just high enough for tapes/paperbacks, then two more “medium-sized” shelves that were about trade-paperback height, and then a slightly higher one, and then one more on the bottom that is abut 11 3/4” high, with a brace in the middle (behind the computer screen in the pic).

I had R cut the top 5 shelves off and trim the sides off to make three separate boxes. The bottom now sits on my desk and the top part formed three floating box shelves in my bedroom. I anchored 2x2s to the studs. Because of our craptastic builder, the studs are 24” on center (instead of 16”) in that room, so the right end and the middle I secured with 4” wood screws to the studs and the left end I had to secure with a toggle bolt. The 2x2s are cleats to which I screwed the boxes.  Just waiting for the touch-up paint to dry.  (When the room was R’s office, the case was unpainted, when I took it over I painted it “Cotton Whisper” to go with the “Pensive Sky” walls, and one “Painted Turtle” accent wall”

Office shelves

This is the base, in my office/studio/sewing room (ig..look at the clutter!)

Floating Shelves

And here are the three floating shelf boxes..the camera kind of “wide-angled” it, so they look warped, but they really aren’t.  And they are all the same size, level, and evenly hung, even though the pic doesn’t show that very well. I only had to buy corner braces, an 8’ section of 2x2 (I had one piece already), and some 4” wood screws. All the rest I had. This is the “Painted Turtle” accent wall, and the color is off in this photo, of course.  It’s a deep, cool warm green...and yes, the green in both pics is the same color.

Wheee!  Can’t wait to get my stuff up on them…Dry paint, Dry!!

2 comments:

Jack Spratt said...

"Cotton Whisper"?
The shelves look great by the way.

Racu said...

Thankee, SIL. Yeah, you know how you get the paint scheme chips, this one had the Painted Turtle (green), Pensive sky (the greyish-greenish on the other three walls), Cotton Whisper (the white--has almost a pink cast to it, it's hard to describe), and then there was an almost cocoa color as the second accent. I didn't use that one.