Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Jeans Recycling.

I've been hoarding a pile of old jeans for a while now, telling myself "I'll make purses! Or bags! or a brooch, or a pterodactyl... " and there they sat. So when my husband wanted a sleeve for his tablet, I said...ooooh..I have just the thing. And there they sat. I finally got my workdesk in the studio cleared to be able to sew and started late Sunday night. The only thing I had to go get was some Velcro®, everything else I had.



I suck at remembering to take "before" pics, so I kind of  put the finished product in position where the piece was in the pair of jeans. I made a sleeve from auto headliner material, soft and flannel-y on one side, foam on the other, slipped it on the tablet and then built the denim sleeve around it. I was thinking, "How am I going to do the closure?" and then it hit me when I looked at the dark blue area left where I'd taken off the back pocket. I gave R a choice of five different fabrics and he chose the one that I'd made his knighting cotehardie out of to line the tab. It's a dark red cotton damask and it's a nice contrast both in color and texturally with the denim. The jeans, by the way, were my son's when he was about...9?

The hammer pocket is the perfect size for the little stand and will safely hold a pen, too. Click on an image to make it larger.

The sleeve front was the leg from hip down to the knee rip.


The sleeve front was the back pocket area and leg down to the knee


Tablet and stand from the front.


Tablet and stand from the back


Sleeve and stand


I thought I had a pic of the stand going into this pocket...it fits perfectly, but here's one of a pen in there instead. Derp.


Back of sleeve...tablet half out.


Little post-it pad in the extra pocket.


Closed with the tablet in.


Putting the tablet in from the front

No comments: