Thursday, June 11, 2020

Family archives

When my mother died in September of 2017, she left behind a ton of papers and photos. She was supposed to have been sorting and labeling the photos for the 12 years since Katrina. (Very thankful they were on the second floor of her house in New Orleans, as it had 10 feet of water in it.) They were sorted a bit, and there were labels on the back of a few, but for the most part, nada. A lot of the people in the older photos I never knew. Some of them I know who they are, others, no. Mum is the only one who knew. It's possible my uncle would know, but not really going down that path.

I'll keep and catalog any photos having any people I know in them, the others are most likely going to become a part of some art project. I'm sorting, labeling, and scanning them, then they will go into albums.

Mum also left a shit-ton of letters...it looks like every letter she ever received from about the late 40s on. She gave very explicit instructions that the ones from her mother were NOT to fall into the hands of my uncle and his wife LOL. But I am scanning them and will make available to my brother, his son, and my kids, if they're interested. Junior Birdman, of course, never met her.

Today, I was starting on the photos and then realised I actually needed to do the letters first because they contain dating and identifying information on the photos. Which means, of course, I'll end up having to read a goodly number myself, something I had hope to avoid (I have my reasons).

Soldier on!

No comments: